Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My Little Frienemy

I love my scale. I hate my scale.  It depends on the week.  Actually I've always loved my scale. It's a predictable friend.  I weigh in Wednesday and I'm down. I work hard, I eat clean, with maybe a few small treats throughout the week, the calories are always where they should be, and I lose weight.  I also lose inches, gain strength, energy and ability.

Well the scale didn't budge this week.  It's not quite my friend this week.  I tried to explain to him that I exercised my butt off, I even took an extra long class, I took my rest day, I ate clean besides my cheat meal, I tracked my calories, but he didn't care.  In fact, the scale went the other way to the tune of 2.8 lbs.  This is the first time since I started my journey 5.5 months ago that I have not lost weight, and it was a big gain.  And you know what?  I'm annoyed, but I don't really care.  I'm not going to go pig out on a bag of candy or chips and say that what I'm doing is useless, and it's never going to work.  Because it is working. I've still lost 52 lbs, doing the same exact things I did this past week.  It was just time for a little gain, and this week is just a blip on the radar.  And honestly, the past four previous weeks I had lost 2.75 lbs a week on average, so sometimes the scale needs to slow down a bit.

Now is the part where people might want to tell me to ignore the scale and count the inches, and it's not the number on the scale that matters.  In part, that's true....when you're down to maybe 20 lbs overweight and trying to tone up and get the right body.  But  I'm Obese, and when you are obese, that scale should be moving and it does matter.  It's the easiest metric to use at this point in the game to see your progress.  That being said, everything else matters too. I feel stronger, clothes fit better, inches are down (except my waist was up this week- I'm bloated I tell ya!), so the scale isn't everything, but it is still a factor.

Lets just get this clear though...this week, the scale is not so much a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment