Friday, August 23, 2013

I'm going to be a Zumba Instructor

You read that right.  Well technically, I'm going to take Zumba Instructor Training.  After that, I would need to find a Zumba job hypothetically.   And now I'm scared. Holy crap.

Negative things that go through my head:

  • I'm going to be the biggest person there
  • What if I can't memorize the choreography 
  • What if I suck at teaching
  • What if I freeze in the middle of teaching
  • What if people hate my class


Positive things that go through my head:

  • I know I will be able to keep up with the Instruction classes.
  • I could be an inspiration for people who are nervous about fitness
  • Dancing is my cardio life, and it's the one area of working out that I excel at.
  • Getting paid to workout would be fun (although honestly, it looks like about a break even if I taught one class a week)
  • I've already got the CPR training
  • I'm really good at making an arse out of myself, and getting other people to do it with me
  • It would be awesome to say "I'm a Nurse, and a Zumba instructor."  I just think that sounds like a kick ass combo.  


When I have something big to decide, I usually make snap decisions based on my instinct, gut feeling, tenacity and determination.  And  I usually don't look back.

It dawned on me Tuesday. Hmm I wonder if I could teach Zumba.  So I just googled, and hey, what do you know, a training will be here on 9/27/13 and it's affordable.  I decided right then that I was going to do it.

Sure I asked the opinion of everyone I could, my trainer, my husband (although I did pre-coach him on what his opinion should be), friends, and I went to zumba classes Wed and Thur evening, and asked my favorite instructor Thurs Eve and they all said "YES YES YES!" so it's good to have some positive encouragement from others.  Anyway, I'm doing this.

Why Zumba and not something else?
I thought this might be a question some would ask.  Although I'm super passionate about taking the Caveman classes, and my personal training, lifting, overall fitness and all that business, it's not a natural ability for me.    I'm not saying I couldn't teach that stuff eventually if I wanted, but it's a much higher skill level.  I am still a Nurse, that's my career and where my passion lies.  Personal training and Instruction the level of Caveman are career moves, not something you do just for fun.  It takes months/years of training to perfect coordinating a group of people all doing different activities, and watching out so they don't injure themselves.

With Zumba, it's not quite the same level of skill needed to even get started, because it's dancing based on simple steps, at your level. You can get very involved, and learn lots of different types of zumba over time, and take tons of training, but I'm happy to get started with the Basic Zumba training.

I'm totally going to look like this
I'm super excited, nervous, scared and determined.  For the next couple months of my fitness journey, I think I will be very focused on the Zumba life.  Still doing my training of course, because a strong Zumba instructor is important, but I will be Zumbified  I'm going to take as many classes as I can fit in, and learn as many dances as I can to feel prepared as I can be.  Here we go...



1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm Mario. I'm working on a site for healthcare professionals and would like to speak with you and get some of your input. Please email me at your convenience, thank you!

    ReplyDelete